- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups flavorful mushrooms such as shiitake, chanterelle, or oyster mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and cut into half inch to inch pieces
- 2/3 cup brandy, vermouth, or dry white wine
- 5-6 cups chicken stock ( I always have my own home made in the freezer and think this makes a big difference)
- 1/3 cup of peeled and minced shallots (OR 1/3 cup of yellow or white onion, finely chopped)
- 1 3/4 cups risotto rice
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley or chives
2 Melt the butter in a deep, heavy, medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallots and sauté about 5 minutes till soft and glassy. Add the rice and stir to combine.
You need a bit of patience as it can take up to 25 minutes of careful stirring, and every few minutes adding hot stock to the rice, as the rice slowly absorbs the liquid it's in. TA DA.
I tidied up the kitchen. I looked at the clock. Evening was approaching. Still no Bryan. I ate the risotto. Still no Bryan. I watched a bit of TV and started reading my next book. Still no Bryan. I went to bed. Bryan arrived home way late. So it goes.